February 26, 2019
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V132
Manufacturer Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.
Potential Number of Units Affected 8
Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC (Mercedes) is recalling certain 2018-2019 GLA-250 and GLA250 4MATIC vehicles. An incorrect rear seat back covering carpet could have been installed on the split-rear seat back. As a result, the child seat anchorage point (top tether) on the center positon of the rear seat may be covered and inaccessible for use. As such, these vehicles fail to comply to Federal Motor Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 225, “Child Restraint Anchorage Systems.”
Mercedes will notify owners, and dealers will check the rear seat back covering carpet on the affected vehicles and replace it if necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin April 26, 2019. Owners may contact Mercedes-Benz’s customer service at 1-800-367-6372. Mercedes’ number for this recall is 2019030003.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
|TO: Mercedes-Benz Dealer Principals, General Managers, Sales Managers, Service Managers, Parts Managers||FROM: Gregory Gunther, Department Manager, Vehicle Compliance and
Analysis, Engineering Services
|RE: Recall Campaign Launch Notification
Replace Rear Seat Back
|DATE: March 22, 2019|
IMPORTANT RECALL CAMPAIGN UPDATE
Please see the attached documents related to the campaign listed above.
Please note that all customer inquiries should be directed to the Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-FOR-MERCEDES.
Department Manager, Vehicle Compliance & Analysis
|Recall Campaign Launch Notification||March 22, 2019|
|Campaign No. :||NHTSA ID||Campaign Desc. :||Replace Rear Seat Back|
|This is to notify you of a Recall Campaign launch regarding the rear seat back on 8 Model Year (“MY”) 2018-2019 GLA-Class (X156 platform) vehicles. The recall campaign will be visible on the www.safercar.gov website and may generate questions from customers. Affected VINs will be flagged in VMI as “OPEN” on March 22, 2019.|
|Issue||Daimler AG (“DAG”), the manufacturer of Mercedes-Benz vehicles, has determined that on certain Model Year (“MY”) 2018-2019 GLA-class (156 platform) vehicles, an incorrect rear seat back covering (carpet) could have been installed on the split- rear seat back. As a result, the child seat anchorage point (top tether) on the center positon of the rear seat would be covered and inaccessible for use. The customer might not be able to attach a child restraint system with the top tether anchorage point on the center position of the rear seat as described in the Operator’s manuals.|
|What We’re Doing||MBUSA will conduct a voluntary recall. An authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer will check the rear seat back covers on the affected vehicles and replace them, if necessary.|
|Parts||Parts are available and can be ordered as necessary.|
|Vehicle Model Year(s)||2018-2019|
|Total Recall Population||8|
|Total NEW Vehicles in Dealer Inventory||0|
|Given this notice, it is a violation of Federal law for a dealer to sell or lease any new MY18-19 GLA-Class vehicles in dealer inventory covered by this notification until the vehicle has been repaired. Once the remedy is available, the vehicles will be flagged as “OPEN” and Work Instructions will be available in Star TekInfo Once the repair is complete, the vehicle may be sold or leased.
Loaner and demonstrator vehicles may continue to be driven, but must not be retailed until repaired.
Additionally, given this notice, it is a violation of Federal Law for car rental companies to rent new MY18-19 GLA-Class vehicles covered by this notification until the vehicle has been repaired.
|Customer Notification Timeline||Customer letters will be mailed approximately one week after the remedy becomes available.|
|AOMS/SOMS||AOMs – This recall may generate questions from your dealers. Please forward this notice to your dealers ASAP.|
|Rental Fleet Partners||This recall may affect vehicles in your fleet. Please contact your respective MBUSA fleet representative for further information and next steps. For repairs, please contact your preferred MBUSA dealer.|
|While we regret any inconvenience this may cause, MBUSA is determined to maintain a high level of vehicle quality and customer satisfaction. Please refer all customer inquiries to the Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-FOR-MERCEDES.|
Campaign No. 2019030003, March 2019
|TO:||ALL MERCEDES-BENZ CENTERS|
|SUBJECT:||Model GLA-class (156 platform)
Model Year 2018-2019
Top Tether Rear Backrest Cover
Daimler AG (“DAG”), the manufacturer of Mercedes-Benz vehicles, has determined that on certain Model Year (“MY”) 2018-2019 GLA-class (156 platform) vehicles, an incorrect rear seat back covering (carpet) could have been installed on the split- rear seat back. As a result, the child seat anchorage point (top tether) on the center positon of the rear seat would be covered and inaccessible for use. The customer might not be able to attach a child restraint system with the top tether anchorage point on the center position of the rear seat as described in the Operator’s manuals. An authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer will check the rear seat back covers on the affected vehicles and replace them, if necessary.
Prior to performing this Recall Campaign:
- Please check VMI to determine if the vehicle is involved in the Campaign and if it has been previously repaired.
- Please review the entire Recall Campaign bulletin and follow the repair procedure exactly as described.
Please note that Recall Campaigns do not expire and may also be performed on a vehicle with a vehicle status indicator.
Approximately 8 vehicles are involved.
- Remove left rear seat backrest.
For basic data, see AR91.12-P-1720NKB.
- Remove armrest from rear seat backrest.
For basic data, see AR91.12-P-1745NKB.
- Install new left rear seat backrest panel (A, Figure 1).
Primary Parts Information
|Qty.||Part Name||Part Number||Estimated Replacement Rate|
|1*||Left rear backrest lining||A 246 924 11 00 9E83||100%|
*Verify part numbers by VIN in XPPI
|Damage Code||Operation Number||Labor Time (hrs.)|
|92 900 01 7||02-2864*||0.8|
*Includes: Remove/install left rear seat backrest and armrest
Operation Number labor times are subject to change.
2 Affected Products
4 Associated Documents
Recall 573 Report – Amendment 1
Non-Compliance Notice 573 Report FMVSS 225
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)- RE: Recall Campaign Launch Notification Replace Rear Seat Back MY18-19 156 (GLA-Class)
- Side impact tested, Meets or exceeds all applicable federal safety standards and Evenflo's side impact test standard
- Designed and tested for structural integrity at energy levels approximately 2X the Federal crash test standard. Rear facing fit tip is top of child head is at least 1 inch below the top of the child restraint seat back
- Multiple shoulder harness positions for better fit and longer use. Age at least two years of age
- Upfront harness adjustment and buckle release allows easy and convenient adjusting
- Integrated body cushion gives added comfort to baby and an easily removable head pillow for older children
- 2 Modes - Converts to Booster: Forward-facing Harness to Belt-Positioning Booster supports children 22-110 lbs.The height recommendation of a child in harnessed booster is 28-50 inches and in seat belt booster mode,it is 44-57 inches
- 5-Point Harness with 50 lb. Limit: Holds child's body safely and securely in car seat
- Up-Front Harness Adjust: Central, front access to harness adjuster provides an easy way to adjust child's harness for an accurate, snug fit
- Shoulder Belt Guide: Automatically positions the vehicle belt in the proper position for your child
- Dual Cup Holders: Two built-in cup holders keep drinks and snacks within reach - allows driver to stay focused on the road
- BUILT TO GROW: The 3-in-1 car seat built to GROW for extended use through 3 stages: Rear-facing 5-40 pounds, Forward-facing 22-65 pounds, and Belt-positioning booster 40-100 pounds
- SIDE IMPACT PROTECTION: The Grow and Go's side impact protection helps keep your child safe
- EASY IN, EASY OUT: Harness holders keep the harness in an open position so it's easy to get your child in and out of the seat. Rear facing height is 19-40 inches. Forward facing height is 29-52 inches
- QUICKFIT HARNESS: With the QuickFit Harness you can easily adjust both the harness and headrest in one simple step
- WASH AND DRY: Machine washable and dryer safe seat pad features snaps that make it simple to take off of the seat; no fuss for truly easy cleaning
- 3 in 1 harness booster helps protect your child, from toddler to youth; harness booster (22 65 pounds), high back booster (30 100 pounds), backless booster (40 100 pounds). Features the Simply Safe Adjust Harness System, which adjusts your harness and headrest to 8 height positions, with no rethreading
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System adjusts the height of your harness and headrest in one motion; one hand, 5 position adjustable headrest easily adapts for your growing child. Car Seat Depth 17.4 inches, Car Seat Width Outside 19 inches, Car Seat Height: 26.5 inches
- Engineered & rigorously crash tested to meet or exceed US standard FMVSS 213; the Nautilus 65 has been side impact tested for occupant retention solely with the built in 5 point harness system
- Open loop belt guides properly position vehicle seat belt across child; seat pad, body support and harness covers are comfortable and machine washable. Metal and plastic parts may be cleaned with mild soap and cool water
- Dual cup holders help keep your child's drink close; lightweight, portable seat is ideal for busy, active parents
- All in One seat grows with your child from 5 100 lb, rear to forward facing and becomes a belt positioning booster; save space in your back seat with unique rotating cup holders. Metal and plastic parts may be cleaned with mild soap and cool water. Buckle may be cleaned with a damp cloth
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System adjusts the height of your harness and headrest; integrated harness storage compartment holds unused harness straps while seat is a belt positioning booster
- Engineered & crash tested to meet or exceed US standard FMVSS 213; the SlimFit car seat has been side impact tested for occupant retention solely with the built in 5 point harness system; features EPS foam
- InRight LATCH system for an easy, one second LATCH attachment; 4 position recline helps keep your growing child comfy, in rear and forward facing modes
- Plush supports keep your child comfortable and are removable; washable seat cover is easy to access without removing the harness. Car seat depth is 16.25 inch. Car seat height is 25.5 inch. Car seat width inside is 19.75 inch
- This 2-in-1 Combination Booster Car Seat fitting children from 22-110 lbs. converts from a 5-point harnessed to belt-positioning car seat allowing for extended use for your child
- The Chase LX Combination Booster Car seat helps protect harnessed children from 22-40 pounds(Height: 28 - 50 inches) and belt-positioned children from 40-110 pounds(Height: 43.3 - 57 inches); Age: At least four years of age
- This lightweight Combination Booster Car Seat comes equipped for LATCH systems allowing for easy installation and transfer between multiple vehicles
- Designed and tested for both Side Impact and Structural Integrity at energy levels approximately 2 times the Federal Crash Test Standards and the harness can be wiped clean with mild soap and water, allow harness to air dry
- Integrated cup holders keep drinks close without increasing the width of the car seat, allowing multiple car seats to fit your back seat. Harness booster age at least two years of age. Fit tip is childs ears are below top of child restraint headrest. Seat belt booster age at least four years of age
- 2 Seats In 1 Removable back for easy transition to a no back booster
- One hand, 6 position height adjustment to accommodate growing children longer. Seat belt booster fit-Top of child's ears are at or below the top of the child restraint
- Child should be at least 4 years of age
- Energy absorbing foam liner provides added safety and comfort. 2 cup holders for drinks
- Machine washable pad keeps seat looking clean
- Comfortable contoured seat with high back; 2 cup holders for drinks or snacks
- 2-position crotch belt and 3-position adjustable-height headrest with energy-absorbing EPS foam; 5-point harness straps easily adjust with one hand
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety "Best Bet" rating for booster car seats; exceeds Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS 213)
- Approved for forward-facing use for children between 22 and 65 pounds and 29 to 49 inches in height; can be converted into a belt-positioning booster car seat for older kids between 30 and 100 pounds and 38 to 57 inches in height
- Easy to install with or without LATCH connectors and top tether
- DuoZone combined head and shoulder side-impact protection with 10 positions for growing children
- SuperCinch LATCH attachment and one-pull tightener helps keep KidFit in place and kid-ready for easy in/out
- ErgoBoost double foam padding and contoured seat design provide support in all the right places
- 2 space-saving cup holders fold away when not in use and are removable for easy cleaning
- Removable, machine-washable seat pad and armrest covers
- Converts from 5-point harness to belt-positioning booster
- Duo Guard side-impact protection for head and torso, and steel-reinforced frame
- 4-position recline, 9-position headrest, and deep Ergo Boost seat with padding/contour
- Premium LATCH connectors and Lock Sure belt-tightening system for easy installation
- 2 dishwasher-safe Cup Folders with push-button removal. Assembled Product Dimensions: 21 inches x 27 inches x 18 inches
Last update on 2019-08-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2019-08-09 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API